On 6/4/2012 3:13 PM, John Iliffe wrote:
> 1) since almost all of these 408's are METHOD=GET why is the request not
> present as soon as the initial connection arrives since the request is
> coded in the URL and not in a separate header?  The total (URL + request)
> length is about 80 bytes or less.

Headers are also sent as part of the request.

> 2) what is the default value when the directive is not present and is it
> reasonable?  ie, do I have some as yet undetected problem here?

This is documented here:
http://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/mod_reqtimeout.html#requestreadtimeout

|header=20-40,MinRate=500 body=20,MinRate=500|

> 3) how far should I extend the body= time before I create the problem that
> the directive was designed to resolve - denial of service attacks caused by
> missing requests.

That's tough to say - the directive exists to limit the amount of
resources a single client can take up by being slow. It really depends
per site as some sites may not be particularly bothered by slow clients
or may not have many. It also varies because some sites serve clients
across the world on very slow connections so they may need to tweak the
values to accommodate those users.

--
Daniel Ruggeri