On May 30, 2012 8:06 , Bill Vance <p...@xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:
I'm new to the list, so this may allready be
addressed somewhere.  Basically, I', trying
to put the sources for apache2 and php,
etc., together, and I seem to be having some
heavy wading.

Do you have a reason to want to build from source? For example, as a learning exercise, or because you will be modifying the code, or because you are using a very esoteric hardware platform?

If the answer is "no", consider getting both Apache and PHP pre-built from someone who has built it already for you -- preferably, your OS distributor (for example, if you are running a Red Hat Linux based OS, run the command "sudo yum install httpd php" to get everything), or a trusted group who provide a pre-packaged stack that contains both Apache and PHP ( see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Apache%E2%80%93MySQL%E2%80%93PHP_packages ).

Either way -- whether you get httpd and php pre-packaged or build it yourself -- it would be helpful to know what OS you're using.

The main problem of the moment, is APR-Util.
After a bit of searchoong around, I finally
found, "apr-util-1.3.9+dfsg".  I'm not sure
what the, "dfsg", is, but I figured I'd find
out from the docs.

I have no idea what this is either. In general, it's not a good idea to use random thing you find lying around without knowing what they are, who they came from, and how they are special.

The authoritative place to get the APR-Util source code is https://apr.apache.org/ If you need version 1.3.x for some reason, you can get it by clicking on the "Download" link in the "Apache Portable Runtime Utility 1.4.1 Released" section, then, on the resulting page, click on the "Other files" link in the "APR-util 1.4.1 is the best available version" section.

However, a much better way, considering the directory path in the error message below is to go to http://httpd.apache.org/ and download both httpd-2.4.2.tar.bz2 and httpd-2.4.2-deps.tar.bz2. The former gets your the Apache HTTP Server source, and the latter gets you versions of the source code of both APR and APR-Util that are packaged to work with it. Unpack both into the same directory, like this:

tar jxf httpd-2.4.2.tar.bz2
tar jxf httpd-2.4.2-deps.tar.bz2

The source for httpd will be in httpd-2.4.2 while the source for APR and APR-Utils will be in httpd-2.4.2/srclib (although you don't need to know this).

Then follow the instructions at https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/install.html (Be sure to read the paragraph about PCRE in the "Requirements" section!)

make[1]: *** No rule to make target `crypto/apr_md5.c',
needed by `crypto/apr_md5.lo'.  Stop.
make[1]: Leaving directory
  /usr/local/src/httpd-2.4.2/apr-util-1.3.9+dfsg'
make: *** [all-recursive] Error 1

Anyone know how to fix this?

Since you're using a dubious version of APR-Util, I'm not even going to try. Please consider using a complete pre-packaged httpd+php stack as described at the top of this message. But if you are going to build this from source, try again using the instructions above. If you encounter problems, include the following information

- What configure command you used
- Any errors or warnings from the configure command.
- What operating system you're using (e.g., "Fedora 17"), including version and platform-specific details (e.g., "x86_64").

Good luck.  I hope this helps!

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org