At 02:28 PM 5/30/2012 -0700, Bill Vance wrote:
On Wed, May 30, 2012 at 08:54:32AM -0400, Mark Montague wrote:
>Date: Wed, 30 May 2012 08:54:32 -0400
>From: Mark Montague <m...@catseye.org>
>Subject: Re: [users@httpd] Build problem
>
>On May 30, 2012 8:06 , Bill Vance <p...@xpresso.seaslug.org> wrote:
>>I'm new to the list, so this may allready be
>>addressed somewhere.  Basically, I', trying
>>to put the sources for apache2 and php,
>>etc., together, and I seem to be having some
>>heavy wading.
[snip]
Actually I'm running KUbuntu 10.04, Lucid Lunatic, or Lynx, or
whatever that stupid name is, on an i386-32  One of the problems
here are utils like apt-get, aptitude, and synaptic, etc.  They
work real good if you only want to deal with .deb archives, but
don't seem to leave much in the way of a program directory behind
them, which some things require for working with them.

Not sure why you need KDE for a server, but...

Maybe 10.04 is a bit "long in the tooth?" I just rebuilt (Monday afternoon) from scratch an old i386-32 as a sandbox using Ubuntu 12.04 (the latest LTS), and had Apache 2.2.22 and PHP 5.3.10 (as well as MySQL 5.5.22) up and running in less than an hour. I used apt-get for each package (wanted MySQL, not Postgre which comes in the standard LAMP package available at installation time from the standard .iso).

The Ubuntu "stupid name" for 12.04 is "Precise"; maybe for you it would be "Perfect"?

HTH - Paul