On September 23, 2012 21:30 , "Martin Lemanski" <martin.leman...@gmx.at> wrote:
When I run Jenkins a view minutes with auto refresh on, my /var/log/apache2/other_vhosts_access.log gets really big with many static requests, which are repeated all 15? seconds.

All I find on the internet is how to set custom logfiles for apache.

How can I limit the log-output – I don’t need to see all these requests. I want to see unique requests…

Apache HTTP Server does not support logging only SOME requests -- you either log all requests, or you log none. I recommend that you log requests.

What you want is a log analyzer that will show you only the information you are interested in. Many log analyzers exist, see https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_web_analytics_software Personally, I like JAWStats, which is not on this list.

Alternatively, you can write a simple script to filter out lines from your log file that you don't want to see.

If you tell me the config, please tell me where to place it. Most of the time I find myself with config-snippets, but no location to put them in (about 70% of found help-resources don’t provide this information or I can’t see it)

This information is usually not provided because different distributions choose to put the Apache HTTP Server configuration files in different locations. If you are running Debian, consult the Debian documentation to learn where Debian puts its httpd configuration files and how Debian expects you to manage them. Also, it's not as good as consulting your distribution's documentation, but often you can find out by running "httpd -V" and looking at the value for SERVER_CONFIG_FILE (which you should prefix with the value of HTTPD_ROOT if SERVER_CONFIG_FILE does not begin with a /).

Once you know what file to put the configuration in, you then have to choose where to put it in the file.

First is deciding between server config context ("global context") which applies to all virtual hosts, and virtual host context, which only applies to a specific virtual host: https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/directive-dict.html#Context

Next, within a context, you have to figure out which section to put the directives into. This will depend on if you want the directive to apply to a certain URI path (in which case you should put the directives in a Location or LocationMatch section), or if you want the directives to apply to a certain filesystem path (in which case you should put the directives in a Directory or DirectoryMatch section). There are also Files and FileMatch sections (for directives which apply to certain names, and Proxy and ProxyMatch sections (for directives which should apply only to proxied requests). Or you can put most directives directly into the server config context or a virtual host context, in order to have the directives apply to all requests. For more information, see https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/sections.html

--
  Mark Montague
  m...@catseye.org