Dear All,

I have been facing this particular issue for quite sometime now and
don’t know what exactly is causing this. The issue is with client
certificate authentication. We have noticed that for few users, client
certificate authentication fails – i.e. browser prompts for client
certificate in a popup window and after I choose the appropriate
personal certificate and submit, it then immediately shows me IE’s
“Page cannot be found” error. This happened both for IE7 and IE8 on
Windows 7 but it is not consistent – meaning this error comes only to
specific end users. For most of them it seems to work but not few.
This is a public site with proper certificates installed which were
procured from VeriSign.

In the ssl error log, I see this error:
[Mon Sep 10 17:42:08 2012] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Re-negotiation
handshake failed: Not accepted by client!?, referer:
https://xxx.xxx.com/LoginForms/login.jsp
[Mon Sep 10 17:42:08 2012] [error] [client xx.xx.xx.xx] Re-negotiation
request failed, referer: https://xxx.xx.com/LoginForms/login.jsp
[Mon Sep 10 17:42:08 2012] [error] SSL Library Error: 336126196
error:1408E0F4:SSL routines:SSL3_GET_MESSAGE:unexpected message

I tried to search on the internet but was unsuccessful. Any ideas or
pointers on where this issue could be? We tried to duplicate this on
our TEST environment, but we couldn’t reproduce it. The environment is
same across TEST and PROD.

Our environment:
OS:
RHEL 6.3