I have had my share of trouble with client certificate authentication / SSL renegotiation. It is difficult to troubleshoot. In addition to what Mark already suggested, here are some other things that may help:

1. Try to reduce the possible amount of SSL protocols and ciphers that client and server are going to negotiate about. I have following settings in use now:

SSLProtocol -All +SSLv3 +TLSv1
SSLCipherSuite !DH:HIGH

2. Reduce the amount of possible renegotiation attempts. Inside the <Location> block where you have "SSLVerifyClient require", add "SSLOptions +OptRenegotiate". The manual does not recommend to turn it on for global configuration or entire vhost but restrict it to some specific <Location> or <Directory> only.

3. For compatibility with older browsers, you may need to turn on SSLInsecureRenegotiation. Be aware that this opens your SSL sessions to possible man-in-the-middle attack (CVE-3555), but in some cases the only other option is that clients won't be able to access your site at all - you can't unfortunately always tell everyone to upgrade their browser.

4. Make sure you are not using some very old version of OpenSSL.

--
Toomas Aas