When you say "And this gives me a 403 access denied.", you need to also
include the exact URL that you entered in the browser (minus the hostname
if you want).

If you have the rewrite rule:
*RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://192.168.123.3:8443/$1 [P]*
and you navigate to https://share.example.com/, you should get exactly the
same content as if you went to https://192.168.123.3:8443/, in this case,
the Tomcat homepage.
1) When going to BOTH URLs, is that what you see?

2) If the answer is yes, then without making any changes to the HTTPD
configuration, when you go to https://share.example.com/share/ in your
browser, do you get the expected result from tomcat?

If you want to remove the /share/ part from the public URL, after you have
confirmed that the above works, this is the rewrite rule you would need:
*RewriteRule ^/(.*) https://192.168.123.3:8443/share/$1 [P]*

- Y