On Fri, Oct 16, 2015 at 6:23 PM, Good Guy <xfs...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On 17/10/2015 01:41, Kurtis Rader wrote:
>

>> That is not correct, Good Guy. Linux, and pretty much any operating
>> system, uses binary programs. Which means programs that consist of machine
>> executable op codes. And Apache HTTP server on Linux is no different: it is
>> a binary program. I would love to know where you got the idea that Linux
>> does not use binaries.
>>

> I got it from the Master in this video:
>
> <https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5PmHRSeA2c8>
>
> Just after 6 minutes in the video he is talking about binaries and all
> that.

You misunderstood what Linus Torvalds said. He was talking about the
problem of packaging applications. Specifically the application binaries so
they run on more than one Linux distribution. This is the problem I alluded
to.

In the Linux world every distribution (RedHat, SuSE, Ubuntu, etc.) has it's
own unique user space. That is, the set of core libraries and locations for
various files (including those core libraries).  This makes it really
difficult (effectively impossible) to create an application binary that
runs on more than a tiny fraction of Linux distributions. Microsoft Windows
avoids that problem because there is effectively only one distribution (MS
Windows).

Obviously what I just said is a gross simplification since even within the
MS Windows world you can easily create a "binary" that runs on one MS
Windows release (Vista) but not an earlier one (XP).

--
Kurtis Rader