On 2015-10-19 10:49, Bremser, Kurt (AMOS Austria GmbH) wrote:
1. all systems must have the same Ubuntu release.
at least compatible. aka binary compatible
2. on all systems, the stick needs to be mounted on the same directory
This would be ideal - however, you could modify the apachectl to determine where it lives and use relative paths
to refer to the conf, modules, etc. that you want to load.
3. build apache with a apache root directory that is located on the mounted
stick. Make sure that nothing escapes you (conf location etc)
That should do the trick.
Specifying your own --prefix (e.g., with a relative path in it, rather than absolute) may help. As you probably need root access to start httpd - you might also be able to create a symbolic link that your conf files use - but will point them at the USB location.

In short - where there is a will - there is a way!

I have done a similar thing in AIX, where I installed apache in a VG apart from
rootvg that is shared between primary and backup server.

Kurt Bremser
AMOS Austria

Newton was wrong. There is no gravity. The Earth sucks.