I remember this!   I contacted the college that was running the scanners
and got indepth information about what it was and how it worked.

This is the responses I got back from the people running the scan...

Apologies for the long delay. As Stefan said, I've been away on my
honeymoon.

As far as we know the malware is windows-only and injects itself into
IIS. I believe most AV vendors have signatures for the malware. Also
as Stefan said, we've informed law enforcement about infections we've
discovered, so we expect they'd contact victims. This malware is
extremely rare, so the likelihood of the party you're interacting with
being infected is very very low.

If the party would like to share their external public IP I'm also
happy to check our logs and see if they come back as infected.

With respect to the string and what it elicits. It's a series of 64
random bytes of data that have been lightly modified to meet a
specific bit-mangling pattern. An infected machine responds back with
what looks like 64 random bytes that have the same big mangling
pattern (but not the same bytes).

If you have further questions, I'm happy to respond.

In Apache, one person was receiving the bytes and their Apache server was
responding back with a 200.   The person I talked to looked into it and
said for that particular IP address, it looked like Apache was sending back
the default html file, but said the response would vary depending on what
service was running.   Some might respond with an error page, some might
respond with an error code, some might send a default page, etc.

There's away to do a reverse IP lookup on the IP address and see if there's
a DNS entry for it.   That's how I was able to successfully figure out who
the senders were (Berkeley) originally.   I used dig I believe.   I don't
have access to my Linux box right now, otherwise I'd check to see if the IP
addresses are actually from Berkeley.   There's always a chance that
they're using more than one server / IP now to conduct the scanning.   I
believe they were originally trying to scan the whole internet.

They had said it's a very specific type of malware that only affects IIS to
their knowledge.   If you're not running a Windows server running IIS, you
should be good to go.