Tawasol,

You might want to look into more than just mod_security.  For example,
there's modules out there for PHP, for instance, that will make PHP run as
a certain user.   If someone manages to take advantage of some poorly
written PHP code, for example, they would only have limited user access and
only be able to access the files in the directory where the html files are
being stored.

I have crontab entries setup to scan for rootkits and do a bunch of other
things.

Another program you might want to look into is ClamAV.   It's freeware.

Mod_security I like the best though.   It really does catch a lot of bad
stuff.  It can be a bit confusing setting it up though.   Best of luck.