Thank you for verify that a reverse proxy can accomplish what I'd like
accomplished.   I have the proxy subdomain redirects turned off (under WHM
>> Tweak Settings) because there's no way to generate an SSL cert using
Let's Encrypt for the various cPanel subdomains when they're turned on.
cPanel supports auto-SSL now and perhaps that will generate SSL certs for
the various cPanel subdomains, but last time I checked, it didn't.

Anyway, thanks for the response.

Ken