Hi,

According to the documentation[1], the default for `AllowOverride` is `None`, and when `AllowOverride` is set to `None`, .htaccess files are not read at all.

When I set `AllowOverride` to `None` explicitly, I find that is the behaviour I see, but when I don't specify it at all, the .htaccess file is still read and I receive a ".htaccess: [...] not allowed here" error. So it looks like even though no override is allowed by default, the `.htaccess` file is still being read when `None` is not specified explicitly.

This is with Apache 2.4.6 on CentOS 7, so perhaps it has been fixed in a later version, but I am not in a position to easily test that, so thought I'd mention it here in case it's useful.

If this is expected behaviour then the documentation could be clearer on this point. It states:

"When this directive is set to None and AllowOverrideList is set to None, .htaccess files are completely ignored."

So leaving it as the default should surely exhibit the same behaviour as setting the default explicitly?

Best,
Nigel

[1] https://httpd.apache.org/docs/2.4/mod/core.html#allowoverride