> On 18 Jun 2017, at 23:41, Frank <thu...@apache.org> wrote:
>
> Nigel,
>
> The point is that the default value changed for 2.3 (and hence 2.4), and you
> seem to be missing it, yes.
>
> As for why that change was made, the development mailing list might be better
> suited for that thread.

No Frank, I'm not missing the point at all. I'm afraid that's you. I will
explain again. Please read carefully and understand this time before replying.

The default for AllowOverride is None on my version. If I make use of that
default setting, and do not specify any value for AllowOverride in any way at
all, it does not behave in the same way as if I specify None explicitly.

Specifically, .htaccess files are looked for and opened if present, which is
not the specified behaviour for a setting of None. The behaviour is correct if
I specify None explicitly (.htaccess files are not processed in any way), if I
allow None to be specified implicitly, by not setting AllowOverride at all, and
using the default, then they are processed, albeit creating an error that the
settings are not allowed. With a setting of None, this should not happen, since
they should not be opened at all.

Nigel