Then you ARE using the current mod_proxy_fcgi and not the old one, it's
important to not confuse each when using / consulting docs, I suggest you
reading this:

https://wiki.apache.org/httpd/PHP-FPM

If you are truly using mod_proxy_fcgi then it's only PHP-FPM fault, not
httpd, you should not even touch httpd config for this change depending on
how your socked/daemon is configured. I recommend you to double check what
php-fpm is creating on start (what socket names / paths / ports) and double
check / compare running 5.6 and 7.0.

In fact, you can run both versions at the same time using different sockets
/ ports.