On Tue, Jan 29, 2019, 14:16 Jerry Malcolm <techst...@malcolms.com wrote:

> On 1/29/2019 12:31 PM, William A Rowe Jr wrote:
>
> On Tue, Jan 29, 2019 at 12:27 PM Jerry Malcolm <techst...@malcolms.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm running a very recent version of WAMP x64.  I inherited an 'ancient'
>> php app that requires php 5.2 and no higher.   I went through the
>> process of adding php 5.2 to WAMP, and I copied php5apache2_4.dll from
>> php 5.6 folder and did the other things in the instructions to add a php
>> version to WAMP.  But now apache won't start and says it can't find the
>> php5apache2_4.dll file.
>>
>> I've seen several posts about this error message, but they all reference
>> different versions.  And I know the dll is good since it works fine on
>> php 5.6.
>>
>> My question is... is Win64 Apache 2.4 and php 5.2 a valid combination?
>> I don't want to continue beating my head against the wall only to find
>> out that this combination is simply not possible.  If it is valid, then
>> I'll continue debug.  If not, I'm in a mess... but it's not a
>> configuration issue...
>>

> You can never combine 32 bit loadable modules in a 64 bit Apache
> httpd process. That means x64 is going to require mod_php 64 bit
> built against the 64 bit httpd 2.4 and 64 bit php 5.2, in your example.
>
> The sysinternals tool depends.exe for 64 bit can quickly show you
> missing dependencies, and whether the loaded exe/dll/so file was
> 64 or 32 bits.
>
> Thanks for the quick response, William.
>
> It appears that the answer to my question is that there is NOT an x64 php
> 5.2.  It is only 32 bit.  (64-bit started with 5.3). I found a link on
> ApacheLounge to a personally-built x64 php 5.2.  But the link is dead.
> Does anybody else have a private-built x64 php 5.2?
> Alternative, has anybody had any experience with running both a 32-bit
> Apache and 64-bit WAMP on the same box? Or is that even possible?  I know
> I'd need to have one on different ports, but I could redirect certain urls
> to the other port.  Is this a horrible idea?

It's actually not a horrible idea. The PHP project strongly encourages
admins to host their content using the PHP fcgi sapi. Route to a pool of
5.2 hosts (32 bit, this is out of process) using either mod_proxy_fcgi or
mod_fcgid. Do the same to a pool of 5.6 hosts for modern apps. These are
all distinct processes and httpd is just moving the traffic, not generating
the dynamic content.