Hi,

I have a vhost in a https-only IPv6-only setup and would like to make
the web site hosted there reachable from the IPv4 Internet. On a
dual-homed host, I have sniproxy that forwards requests coming in via
IPv4 over IPv6 depending on the SNI header. The web server is directly
reachable from the IPv6 Internet without proxy.

sniproxy can utilize the haproxy proxy protocol to forward the IPv4
address of the requesting client to the weberver. With the
RemoteIPProxyProtocol directive of mod_remoteip, apache can make sense
from that. So far so good.

With this option set, apache expects the proxy protocol on all
connections for the listener in question, making it unsuitable for
direct client connections. There is RemoteIPProxyProtocolExceptions,
which specifies IP addresse from where the proxy protocol is not
required. In the situation in question, I'd need "require proxy
protocol fom the IP address of the proxy ONLY". If I set like 2000::/3
as Exceptions, the entire Internet could send me a wrong IP address.

This logic completely backwards than the other mechanism for
X-Forwarded-For headers using RemoteIPInternalProxy, where I need to put
in a list of IP addresses that are allowed to send a clien IP address.
Confusing.

Is it possible to have a negated IP address list in
RemoteIPProxyProtocolExceptions? I think that I cannot use SetEnvIf at
this point because the ProxyProtocol processing happens way before any
http processing begins.

I would like to avoid defining a dedicated listener for the sniproxy
mechanism.

Any ideas?

Greetings
Marc