On Fri, May 08, 2020 at 03:15:23PM +0200, Antony Stone wrote:
> On Friday 08 May 2020 at 15:00:07, Marc Haber wrote:
> > >
> > > Is the vhost capable of dealing with IPv4 queries if you can only manage
> > > to get them to the machine?
> >
> > Yes, but I'd prefer having the setup IPv6 only. I only build IPv4 if
> > absolutely necessary.
>
> To be honest I would have thought that "talking to a very large part of the
> current Internet" is reasonably necessary :)

I would do it differently in an infrastructure project, but this is my
personal blog, somewhere between "engineering study" and "production".
And I know of at least one ISP who has built the datacenter in a quite
similiar way.

Being reachable from the IPv4 internet is very well done with sniproxy,
it's just apache making this unnecessarily complicated by offering two
methods from the same module with the exception list backwards in one of
those two. I was hoping that somebody would explain _why_ the haproxy
protocol is implemented so differently from the http header method in
the very same module, and maybe I have missed something in the docs.

> Dual-stack I can quite understand, but attempting IPv6-only seems a bit too
> far ahead of the game for my liking.
>
> > I'd rather take the approach of having a dedicated apache listener for
> > the proxied requests than building more IPv4.
>
> Okay, I just thought I'd offer an alternative possible solution.

The least evil solutions seems to look different for different people,
although a solution inside apache would actually help the most.

Greetings
Marc