On Tue, Mar 30, 2021 at 2:49 AM Eric Covener <cove...@gmail.com> wrote:

> What are your current MPM settings and how busy is your server during
> rotation? If ServerLimit is above MaxClients/ThreadsPerChild the extra
> scoreboard space is what allows the old generation of processes to
> gracefully exit while a new generation spins up.

The time during the log rotation is one of the more quiet times of the day.
I didn't specify any MPM settings initially, so everything was the default
for Apache 2.4.37 on CentOS 8, which I believe is as follows:

ServerLimit 16
ThreadsPerChild 25
MaxRequestWorkers 400

I have since manually specified some settings in
/etc/httpd/conf.modules.d/01-cgi.conf. I doubled the ServerLimit to 32 and
the MaxRequestWorkers to 800, so it looks like this:

<IfModule mpm_event_module>
   LoadModule cgid_module modules/mod_cgid.so
   ServerLimit 32
   ThreadsPerChild 25
   MaxRequestWorkers 800
</IfModule>

The system has now survived an unattended log rotation and Apache reload
with those settings, but I can't be sure if it's because of the MPM config
change, luck, or something else. It makes me a bit nervous.

Would you suggest that I bump up ServerLimit further, and leave the other
parameters untouched?

> Does your logrotate script restart multiple times in succession for
> many log files?

The server runs four VirtualHosts, each with two logs (access and error).
As far as I know, there's only one Apache reload happening after all of
those are rotated.

Thanks!