Yes, you can't use 6to4 with private addresses (at least to talk to the
rest of the Internet).  6to4 won't work to a router behind a NAT.  For
the particular case of Windows XP, the IPv6 stack won't even attempt to
create a 6to4 address from a private address.

You shouldn't need to tunnel inside your own network if it's just a
single subnet.  You should be able to run IPv6 natively.  To do this,
set up your gateway router (the machine with your end of the tunnel to
your IPv6 ISP) to advertise a subnet of the prefix you get from your
IPv6 ISP on your internal network, and to route IPv6 packets back and
forth between your subnet and the tunnel.  Any client boxes on your
subnet should automatically configure addresses based on router
advertisements they receive from your gateway router.

--Brian