--On Donnerstag, 17. März 2005 22:29 +0100 JORDI PALET MARTINEZ <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

Hi Brian,

Regarding 6to4 with NAT/private addresses ... I had some time ago a
different experience. But not sure right now if it was using XP with SP1
or SP2, which could make the difference.

I was using a GPRS cellular phone, via Bluetooth or infrared (not sure
right now, long time ago). Then I was receiving a private address ...

But 6to4 was working fine w/o any configuration from my side !

I suspected the reason for that was that the NAT was allowing protocol-41
forwarding, as described at
http://www.consulintel.euro6ix.org/ietf/draft-palet-v6ops-proto41-nat-03.
txt (to be updated soon) and
http://www.euro6ix.org/documentation/euro6ix_co_upm-consulintel_wp4_ipv6_
tun nels_nat_v1_6.pdf).

It happened to me several times when traveling.

I've even some screen captures, I believe ;-)

Can you tell me at least one NAT router which supports this? Many NAT router are Linux based, but here I have never seen any special protocol-41 NAT code at all.

What so far is working mostly is the following scenario:

Internet - NAT router - (only one) host using 6to4 based on the global IPv4 address of the NAT router.

This is working because most NAT router fall back into dump NAT mode if they do not understand the protocol. And because they have a NAT state table, they know which internal IP should get the paket back from the Internet.

Note, if you have a second box using same internally, you will get very confusing results, because now you have flapping state entries in the NAT router.

        Peter
--
Dr. Peter Bieringer                     http://www.bieringer.de/pb/
GPG/PGP Key 0x958F422D               mailto: pb at bieringer dot de