On 21 May 2014 01:47, Rafael Chaves <raf...@abstratt.com> wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> > a property/field (or action/operation parameter) being required is just
> > one sort of validation. Others include @Regex, @MinLength, @MaxLength
> etc.
>
> Ah, got it. As I said before, I am aiming for a more
> disconnected/snapshot-based approach (which is more friendly to a high
> latency protocol), so I am planning for no callbacks, just as you probably
> did with RO?

I was about to disagree, but actually, yes, at least in RO v1.0 does not
provide callbacks

When we generate a representation of an object, that in effect encodes the
visibility and enablement of the underlying object for the current user.

> Instead, the metadata ought to provide enough information so
> the client can perform the required validations itself (and only if they
> want/know how - the API will validate the data again when accepting it). So
> in your example, minRequired, maxRequired, and regexp will have to be
> exposed in the schema itself, as isRequired is.

Yes, again RO has a bunch of schema representations that can expose this
information.  But if the client chooses not to implement any of this
client-side, the RO server will still revalidate.

> > In Isis visibility is computed dynamically. It might vary based upon the
> > state of the object (eg hide the "complete" action for a todo item that
> is
> > already complete)
>
> Right, action enablement is currently computed ahead of time and
> is available as a map in Instance. [1]
>
> From what I read here, it seems that my goals with Kirra are more related
> to RO than to Isis per se (as Isis design assumes client and provider are
> in the same process and there is no latency), although I could still see it
> working with an Isis implementation with some loss of functionality.

At the moment, that's true, though in RO is starting to move in that
direction.

In RO v1.1 [3] (which .NET implements, not yet Isis) we have the concept of
property prompt and action parameter prompt.  These enable conditional
choices to be computed, eg Category/Subcategory.

Also, now that I think about it, even in RO 1.0 we made the validate
functionality available as a callback; hit the put/post resource, with an
optional x-ro-validate-only argument.

> Re: the Google hackathon, was mostly a learning exercise for me, 1st time
> doing anything on Android. We got as far as having an app showing entities,
> instances and instance details as retrieved from a back end application via
> its REST API. Some screenshots in the slides from our end-of-hackathon demo
> presentation [2].

That's a good result from just a weekend hacking, nice one.

~~~
OK, what next?

Cheers
Dan