If the behaviour of the text field in particular is problematic, then you
can develop and plug in a different implementation using the Wicket
framework.  The Wicket viewer guide has details on how to do this
(fullcalendar2, gmap3 use this API).

That said...

You said your pages are form heavy, and are all view models. I wonder
therefore whether you are fighting the framework too much.  Why are you
using view models rather than just surface entities? Why do your users need
so much  information on a single page - what use cases are you trying to
support? Where is this app on the "problem solver Vs process follower" axis?

One option for you might be to use Isis as a development environment (to
build a good quality domain model) but then write a custom UI, eg in ZK on
top of it. Obviously this throws out one of the framework's key features,
but you get full flexibility to do whatever. Or, you could use the Rest api
to accomplish the same.

But, I do suggest you also try to work within the constraints of the
framework, and see what that gives you. We know of plenty of "problem
solver" type apps that are out there that work well enough without lots of
customisations.

Hth,
Dan.