Thanks Guys,

We did try using the:

"yourSPARQLEndpoint elda:supportsNestedSelects true."

Although I think we found that the option was actually (non-plural):

"yourSPARQLEndpoint elda:supportsNestedSelect true."

However, whilst Elda reported that it did indeed support the
NestedSelect, it continued to create that absolutely massive union for
our query.

The good news is my colleague Rob was able to change Elda's config
file so that it generated a much simpler query for us. So we have now
moved past that one. If anyone wants more info on this, please say,
and I will ask him to post some detail.

Thanks for all your help guys.

--
Adam Retter