I wonder if the problem is to do with the datatype of the string resulting
from concat()?

Can you try doing a BIND(concat(str(?lang),"-",str(?locale)) AS
?langMatch) in your query and selecting that variable out to see what
value you get, in particular I'm wondering if you are getting a typed
literal?

langMatches() wants a simple literal as the second argument and it is
possible that concat() is produced a typed literal

One possibility is simply to put str() around the concat() call and see if
that resolves things

There may also be some RDF 1.1 interaction going on here (if this is Jena
3.x) since literals without a type have an implicit type in RDF 1.1 that
may be causing the function evaluation to do the wrong thing which would
be a bug

Rob