I'm at a loss as to how you gathered that impression.

RDF4J (formerly known as Sesame, Eclipse license)
Apache Giraph (Apache license)
Neo4j (GPLv3 license)
Apache Spark GraphX (Apache license)
Blazegraph (GPL license)
Titan (Apache license)

Many, many more.

All of these have strengths and weakness, idiosyncrasies and unique features. I
_strongly_ suggest you decide on some concrete project to attempt first. I
think you will find navigating this space easier and more profitable with a
goal in mind.

---
A. Soroka
The University of Virginia Library