Hi,

We use our own SPM <http://sematext.com/spm/> to monitor our Kafka brokers,
producers, and consumers (and ZK) and have alerts and anomaly detection on
several key Kafka and ZK metrics.  When things break around ZK and/or
Kafka..... we find out pretty quickly because a lot of metrics suddenly
spike or drop :)  In other words, if I understand your question correctly,
I'd suggest using a monitoring tool to detect things like unavailable Kafka
brokers or ZK nodes instead of manually watching connections with a Kafka
client...

Otis