Alex,
     In the above mentioned case  I think monitoring the consumer lag
     will be helpful
"kafka.consumer":name="([-.\w]+)-MaxLag",type="ConsumerFetcherManager".
Another approach I used before was to use metrics library to send
consumer stats to ganglia and use nagios alert on those stats, If the
consumed messages drops below certain threshold .
-Harsha