Topic creation should only cause a rebalance for wildcard consumers (and I
believe that is regardless of whether or not the wildcard covers the topic
- once the ZK watch fires a rebalance is going to happen).

Back to the original concern, it would be helpful to see more of that log,
in that case. When a rebalance is triggered, there will be a log message
that will indicate why. This is going to be caused by a change in the group
membership (which has a number of causes, but at least it narrows it down)
or a topic change. Figuring out why the consumers are rebalancing is the
first step to trying to reduce it.

-Todd