On Tue, Jun 14, 2016 at 8:08 AM, Tauzell, Dave <dave.tauz...@surescripts.com
> wrote:

> I have been able to get my C# client to put avro records to a Kafka topic
> and have the HdfsSink read and save them in files.  I am confused about
> interaction with the registry.  The kafka message contains a schema id an I
> see the connector look that up in the registry.  Then it also looks up a
> subject which is <topic>-value.
>
> What is the relationship between the passed schema id and the subject
> which is derived from the topic name?

The HDFS connector doesn't work directly with the schema registry, the
AvroConverter does. I'm not sure what the second request you're seeing is
-- normally it would only look up the schema ID in order to get the schema.
Where are you seeing the second request, and can you include some logs? I
can't think of any other requests the AvroConverter would be making just
for deserialization.

The subject names are generating in the serializer as <topic>-key and
<topic>-value and this is just the standardized approach Confluent's
serializers use. The ID will have been registered under that subject.

-Ewen

> -Dave
>
> This e-mail and any files transmitted with it are confidential, may
> contain sensitive information, and are intended solely for the use of the
> individual or entity to whom they are addressed. If you have received this
> e-mail in error, please notify the sender by reply e-mail immediately and
> destroy all copies of the e-mail and any attachments.

Ewen