Thanks a lot for the comments.

@Guozhang: I updated the KIP accordingly. With regard to potential
client test-utils, I agree, but not sure how to resolve it. I guess, we
just need to move the class for this case later on. (One reason to
annotate all classes with @Evolving)

@Bill: The new artifact will be included without the "classifier:test"
tag, because it's a regular dependency (the published artifact is not a
test artifact). For existing code, we don't remove any existing internal
test class in 1.1.0 so the code should still work -- but as internal
test classes are internal, we don't provide any guarantee about
compatibility in the first place.

About `ConsumerRecordFactory`: I think all overloads are useful -- if
you remove the overload taking a topicName as input, you cannot
overwrite the defaultTopicName and thus need to create a factory for
each input topic. On the other hand, if you remove the overloads without
talking a topicName, you force people to define a defaultTopicName, and
thus they need to create a factory for each topic, too. The goal is to
allow the usage of a single factory even if there are multiple topics.
The defaultName is useful, if you want to create a lot to record for a
single topic, but not a good fit if you create just a few record for
each topic. (At least, that is my thinking.).

The `null` approach might work, too, but I think this result in ugly
boiler plate code and thus I personally prefer the add the overloads.
Let me know if you have a strong opinion for the `null` approach with
reduced number of overloads.

Hope to add the helpers for result verification this week...

@Jeff: the available method include global stores -- I added a comment
to the KIP

-Matthias