mmm... its a shame that gnokkid running /dev/gnokii wont talk to kannel
(http://www.kannel.org/faq.shtml#3.7).  i dont know the GSM modem commands
but i can actually get minicom talking to /dev/gnokii (talking to
/dev/ttyS1) - though i suspect that /dev/gnokii is just a normal modem.  it
accepts AT command tho.

> > so how does gnokii do it?  surely that must open a connection
> > to /dev/ttySX
> > and send commands/receive data?
>
> You can try to take a look at the gnokii source code and see for
> your self. me personally, last time I tried that - my mind went
> blank and shut itself down after 5 minutes, as a protective measure ;-)

likewise :-)  i will probably try again tomorrow next week with appropraite
amount of valium!

thanks for your input again - think its time i upgraded my phone,

wilf