Is there any way to get send SMS delivery status synchronously (as oppose to DLR). Or is there any possible configuration that binds send sms process to SMSC driver reply before terminating (so that it could return info DLR style).

You could write an application to sit in front of smsbox to do this, but I can't really see why you would want to. Maybe if you explained why you want to do it, we can help a bit more with other options.

Sometimes it's useful that way instead of using dlr-mash/dlr-url, right?

Not sure about this, I think maybe if it was delivered instantly and you are only sending a few messages you might get away with this, but the problem is you will end up blocking the application from sending other messages. What happens if the phone is switched off when you send to it? (You app will block until its switched on...)

Ben