Hi Anand,

You are on the right track....
1. CIIMW, It depends on your requirement actually. If you don't need
special setting and the default setting work find for you, why have you
made things difficult.

2 & 3. Absoultely yes, you could do that. You just have to write down
script to store messages in or out of kannel. Kannel won't do that for
you. Your script could store message out before or after invoking
sendsms url. Fordelivery receipt, you could use url-dlr parameter to
trigger the script that will handle the incomming DR. You could find
url-dlr info on Kannel User Guide
http://www.kannel.org/download/1.4.1/userguide-1.4.1/userguide.html#DELIVERY-REPORTS

Hope this could help you...

--tjatur