You'll have to patch kannel  big-time to do that. Kannel was designed to
work asynchronously (I suppose this is because that's the way SMPP and other
serious SMS protocols work). This makes a lot of sense, because otherwise
you'd have to keep the connection open until the SMSC responds to your
message (which may happen a few seconds later on some cases).
Regards,

Alejandro