Well, on both cases, you'll need to stop kannel to do that. The store is
mostly kept in memory (the disk files are only used as a backup in case of a
"dirty" shutdown. If you don't stop it beforehand, even deleting the files
from disk, kannel will keep retrying the messages on memory.
Regards,

Alejandro