The current approach is right imho. The file/spool store is a backup for the
memory content, you should not mangle with it directly while kannel is
running. It's just like a regular database: you don't use an hex editor to
remove records from a DB right? ;)
Think about performance: if kannel would use a file-based store for realtime
operation, performance would drop drastically.

Regards,

Alejandro