I figured out a way to set it up the way I need it to work.
So like I said, I wanted to route all MOs originating from all SMSCs to a
single script to handle all of them.
In my SMSc configuration I am using reroute-smsc-id to re-route all
incoming MOs to a single HTTP SMSc that will invoke my script.
The thing that kept me back is the preferred-smsc-id setting, because if it
is used in conjunction with reroute-smsc-id then reroute-smsc-id is
completely ignored without any mention of it in kannel logs.