On 07/25/2016 11:19 PM, Tim wrote:

I'm still not convinced a PC clock is deliberately designed to run slow.
My experience with flattening BIOS batteries has been peculiar hardware
behaviour, can't say that I've noticed the time going skew whiff.

Don't forget that most PCs are always online, and adjusting their clocks from the various time servers. Mostly, today, you'd see the clock error after the computer's been turned off for a while, or at least off-line. Back when most computers were only online occasionally, if at all, it was more obvious.