On 02/20/17 12:53, Stephen Morris wrote:
>     I'm using the Slickvpn provider for my vpn, which also uses
> Openvpn. Under windows they provide a client which make connecting to
> any of their servers, and changing between servers, and auto switching
> between servers, child's play.
>     They don't provide a client for linux but instead their web site
> provides a link to instructions on how to set up Openvpn under Linux,
> but it is aimed directly at Ubuntu. In order to get the vpn to work I
> had to download a crt file that was configured for their server in
> Singapore (as being the closest location to me), but there was no
> keyfile. When I downloaded the .crt file I stored that file in my
> downloads directory, and then in the vpn definition in networkmanager
> I pointed the 'CA Certificates' option to the .crt file in my
> downloaded location. Given you comments above, is that not how I
> should be setting things up?

I looked at the Slickvpn site....

From what I could tell, all you should need do is download the openVPN
file for each site you want to connect with from this page
https://www.slickvpn.com/locations/.  Then change the name of the file
from *.bin to *.ovpn and use the Import function of NetworkManager.
When prompted to save the certificates you should say yes.

After the connection is imported you would then go to the connection and
choose "Edit".  There you'd add your UN/PW and say OK.  After that you
should be able to connect.  Looking at the openVPN config file it is
using simple UN/PW authentication.   I don't see any requirements for
additional keys.

The Connection Type is show as Password.  This is different than my VPN
provider which has a Connection Type of Password with Certificates (TLS)
and the openVPN config supplied by them includes a CA, and User certs
plus a private key and tls_auth key.

>     As a side issue to this, which may be the provider I am using,
> when I use the vpn my network performance goes through the floor. I
> have spoken to the provider about it and they suggested I try a couple
> of server in the US, but their performance is worse. I get the same
> issue under both Linux and Windows. The provider recommends that I not
> use their servers in Australia because network costs are so expensive.
> Do you notice similar performance issues with your setup, and if not,
> how do I identify whether it is a provider issue or my setup?

What I would do is go to a site such as http://www.speedtest.net and in
the settings menu pick a destination server at the same location as your
VPN end point.  Then I would run the speed test with and without being
connected to the VPN.  I would run each test multiple times and take an
average.  I did this with one of my endpoints in Seattle.  With the VPN
it was slower but only by about 5%.

It is not clear that their servers support it...but you can also try
turning LZO compression on in the "Advanced" settings for the
connection.  I see a slight increase in my speed tests with this turned
on.  YMMV depending on the type of data being transferred.

--
Fedora Users List - The place to go to get others to do the work for you