On 12/17/2017 03:04 PM, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 12/17/2017 11:55 AM, fred roller wrote:
Main thing to remember is KISS.  This is a simple way to have the normal drop points of data redirected to the larger drive.

If you really want to KISS, just migrate /home to the new drive and be done with it. _______________________________________________

Hold on a minute, Joe. If I understand Fred correctly, the system does certain things to the /home directory and each user directory that he did not repeat /not/ want preserved, and no one else should, either. And I can believe it. I've noticed some flakiness when slavishly preserving my main user directory, that didn't happen when I simply "created" my other "users" /de novo/ with every clean install. The flakiness gets worse with every iteration. (You developers who are monitoring this list, are you monitoring this thread? Consider this my formal protest of a certain amount of carelessness, hint, hint, hint!) I attribute that to the kind of hidden file that needs doing away with.

I would add ~/bin to the list, plus a few others I've created, along with a custom bashrc script that sets the PATH to include my own bin directory. But otherwise his principle is a sound one.

I at first thought as you do, Joe: just mount the larger directory as /home and have done with it. I used to do just that when I jerry-built systems having more than one HDD, that I had cobbled together from a few "antique" systems. The problem: that still leaves the system to throw things into /home that one can best do away with. One can do that most easily by doing clean installations on the system drive with every iteration, or at least every /other/ iteration.

Now I have one more question, and this is for Fred or Stan. Should any physical directories named Documents, Downloads, Music, Pictures, Video, etc., remain on the actual /home mount? Or should they exist physically only on the /crypt mount (meaning the larger user-data drive) and only symlinks remain in ~? (Remember: ~ = /home/username where /username/ is the name of the user account.) Understand: I want a clean separation between useful data on the one hand, and configuration on the other--except for things like Thunderbird where I want to preserve e-mail accounts and extensive e-mail databases. (I understand why you didn't bother with Chrome's configuration data. But what about Firefox?)

I genuinely appreciate this discussion and the direction it has taken, more than some of you might know. I've had a bellyful of the flakiness that gets worse with every "system upgrade" I've done--to the point where even KDE's Apper program crashes on launch every single time.

I wonder: am I the first here to build a system with all SDD drives? Or has any other subscriber to this list done that?

Temlakos