I have a pair of old Garmin RINO 120 GPSs and a gadget to connect
either of them, one at a time, to my PC, currently running F 29. For
several years I could run topo map software under WINE -- unfree software
from any, or almost any, of half a dozen vendors -- but never get any of
them to talk to either GPS. Now there is Open Street Map, a.k.a. OSM,
which I THINK runs natively under Linux.

        I have studied forums and followed discussion lists (with Pan and
Gmane, since most of the content is obviously unrelated to my
questions).  For years.

        It seems that everyone else is a mapMAKER, and takes mere USE for
granted. I only want to use it, and only out in the woods or the desert
or the tooley weeds -- all of which, it seems, OSM does map, despite its
name. I want to get maps to scale that show things of interest to me
only, or I hope only -- things like good lunch rocks, and nests, and
particular trees, all or nearly all off any trail.

        Unlike the OSM regulars, I have no advanced skills in
cartography, nor EE, nor CS. My skills and knowledge are in unrelated
areas.

        All this boils down to two questions. If I install OSM under
Fedora, will it accept, incorporate, and display off-road and off-trail
data from an old GPS, either with OSM's own data, or with things like USGS
topo maps? And if it will, can an ordinary mortal learn to use it?

--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.