On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:57 -0800, Clifford Snow wrote:

> I would suggest using QGIS. It run great under Fedora. I use Dani's copr
> repo for QGIS. (copy of repo below) It's has the latest version, 3.4
> which is very stable. QGIS will natively open GPX tracks. Then you'll
> want to get some backgrounds. I would add the QuickMapServices plugin.
> Once the plugin is installed, Go to Web, QuickMapServices and open
> settings. Under More service, select Get contributed pack. It will load
> in more than a dozen backgrounds you can use.

        What does QuickMapServices plug into?  Dnf installed QGIS, and
also mapnik, which I take to be relevant; but having had my share of
dependency hell back in the day, I'm reluctant to update anything except
via dnf. Is that going to make trouble?

        There may be trouble already:

$ qgis &
[1] 12521
[btth@localhost ~]$ Warning: loading of qgis translation failed [/usr/
share/qgis/i18n//qgis_en_US]
Warning: loading of qt translation failed [/usr/share/qt4/translations/
qt_en_US]
Warning: Object::connect: No such signal
QgsMergedBookmarksTableModel::&QgsMergedBookmarksTableModel::selectItem( const
QModelIndex &index )
Warning: Object::connect:  (receiver name: 'QgsBookmarksBase')
Warning: QCss::Parser - Failed to load file  "/style.qss"
QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No
such file or directory
Warning: QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/btth/.qgis2//
project_templates
loaded the Generic plugin
Warning: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QgsPanelWidgetStack
"mWidgetStack", which already has a layout

> As a personal note from an active OSM contributor, please at least
> consider uploading your tracks. Just go to osm.org and select GPX Tracks
> to upload yours. If you are willing to put some extra effort, once
> you've added your traces, please add your trail to OSM.

        I obviously need to learn the difference between a trail and a
trace. Maybe it's in the matter I read yesterday; absent-mindedness,
alas!, gets worse with age.

> When I'm speaking to a group about OSM, I'm usually asked about quality,
> which is at least as good, if not better, than the others in large
> cities. But for trails, OSM has the most trails of any map service. 99%
> of those trails are added from gpx traces from people just like you.
>
> If you need help with OSM or QGIS, please contact me directly.

        First of all, thanks a million! That's vastly more than I had
found, and very apposite. I've been beavering into it.

        Second, goodgoddlemityWOW! I hadn't the faintest notion of the
incredible vastness of the project. I imagined something like downloading
a few Coast & Geodetic Service Maps to a GPS a/o a computer -- as I did
twenty-odd years ago.

        It's going to take me a while just to digest the idea of what is
out there, and another while to learn the jargon. "Good Lord willin' an'
the crick don't rise," as people say in these here parts, I'll be back
with questions, lots of questions, and I hope more understanding of what
there is to learn.

        Again, many, many thanks!
--
Beartooth Staffwright, Not Quite Clueless Power User
Remember I know little (precious little!) of where up is.