On Mon, Feb 11, 2019 at 11:48 AM Beartooth <bearto...@comcast.net> wrote:

> On Sat, 09 Feb 2019 14:59:57 -0800, Clifford Snow wrote:
>
> > I would suggest using QGIS. It run great under Fedora. I use Dani's copr
> > repo for QGIS. (copy of repo below) It's has the latest version, 3.4
> > which is very stable. QGIS will natively open GPX tracks. Then you'll
> > want to get some backgrounds. I would add the QuickMapServices plugin.
> > Once the plugin is installed, Go to Web, QuickMapServices and open
> > settings. Under More service, select Get contributed pack. It will load
> > in more than a dozen backgrounds you can use.
>
>         What does QuickMapServices plug into?  Dnf installed QGIS, and
> also mapnik, which I take to be relevant; but having had my share of
> dependency hell back in the day, I'm reluctant to update anything except
> via dnf. Is that going to make trouble?

It shouldn't. Plugins are fetched and I believe stored in your home
directory under ~/.local/share/QGIS/QGIS3

>         There may be trouble already:
>
> $ qgis &
> [1] 12521
> [btth@localhost ~]$ Warning: loading of qgis translation failed [/usr/
> share/qgis/i18n//qgis_en_US]
> Warning: loading of qt translation failed [/usr/share/qt4/translations/
> qt_en_US]
> Warning: Object::connect: No such signal
> QgsMergedBookmarksTableModel::&QgsMergedBookmarksTableModel::selectItem(
> const
> QModelIndex &index )
> Warning: Object::connect:  (receiver name: 'QgsBookmarksBase')
> Warning: QCss::Parser - Failed to load file  "/style.qss"
> QInotifyFileSystemWatcherEngine::addPaths: inotify_add_watch failed: No
> such file or directory
> Warning: QFileSystemWatcher: failed to add paths: /home/btth/.qgis2//
> project_templates
> loaded the Generic plugin
> Warning: QLayout: Attempting to add QLayout "" to QgsPanelWidgetStack
> "mWidgetStack", which already has a layout

Its possibly a conflict with python installations. I've been down that
road. Now when I install from pip/pip3 I use the --user option.

> > As a personal note from an active OSM contributor, please at least
> > consider uploading your tracks. Just go to osm.org and select GPX Tracks
> > to upload yours. If you are willing to put some extra effort, once
> > you've added your traces, please add your trail to OSM.
>
>         I obviously need to learn the difference between a trail and a
> trace. Maybe it's in the matter I read yesterday; absent-mindedness,
> alas!, gets worse with age.

Use the gpx trace along with imagery to add the trail in OSM. Once the
trace is uploaded, it can be used as a background to add a line feature to
OSM. Using the browser based editor, iD, select the line feature to add
your trail. Tag the line as highway=path + a name= if its named. A gpx
trace from a consumer grade device can easily be off by 3 meters - if not
more.  By using imagery along with the gpx the trail can easily be more
accurate.

Good luck,
Clifford
--