Running ausearch -m avc , i get a list of logs similar to the following:

time->Sun Mar 22 19:12:54 2020
type=AVC msg=audit(1584900774.568:350): avc:  denied  { name_bind } for
pid=1595 comm="dovecot" src=587 scontext=system_u:system_r:dovecot_t:s0
tcontext=system_u:object_r:smtp_port_t:s0 tclass=tcp_socket permissive=0
----

By "followed the Fedora 31 documentation" do you mean "dnf install dovecot", ..
yes exactly. I think I located the configuration file that is responsible for
dovecot to try use port 587 (and it comes out of the box, it's not me)

/etc/dovecot/conf.d/10-master.conf

service submission-login {
  inet_listener submission {
    #port = 587
  }
}

so I guess Mr.Spock is right: why Dovecot should work on this port if it is not
supposed to do so? The idea that SELinux is blocking it convinces me. Much more
reading the note contained in the page linked above
https://doc.dovecot.org/admin_manual/submission_server/ where it looks like the
submission server is a fairly recent feature of Dovecot, that a few people is
aware of.

A little bit more work and I will manage to overcome the problem (hopefully
before some star date 20200).

Thank you guys for all the inputs, appreciated.