On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 10:32:16PM +0530, Sreyan Chakravarty wrote:

> On Fri, Nov 13, 2020 at 10:17 PM Jonathan Billings <billi...@negate.org>
> wrote:
>
> > If you have Fedora Workstation installed, you have the
> > 'fedora-release-workstation' package installed, which has
> > 'fedora-release-identity-workstation' as a requirement.  You'd need to
> > swap it out for fedora-release-kde, which you could do with this:
> >
> > sudo dnf swap fedora-release-workstation fedora-release-kde
> >

> Ok, I get what protected packages are now, but I am confused as to what  '
> fedora-release-workstation ' represents.
>
> Is it a software component ? Like if I want ssh I would do something like :
>
> dnf install ssh
>
> This would install the SSH package on my system.
>
> But what does " fedora-release-workstation " represent ? Is a software
> component or is it a group of components ? If it is a group why not just
> make it a dnf group ?

The 'fedora-release-*' packages are the base packges for different
default configurations, like Workstation, Server, XFCE, MATEcompiz,
etc.  They provide no files, just bring in dependencies.  In a way,
they're like dnf groups, but they use the RPM database for managing
the group of packages, not DNF repository group metadata.  You can
only have one 'release' installed at a time since they conflict with
each other.

You'd have to ask the Fedora core maintainers as to why there are
so many different ways to maintain groups of packages.  dnf modularity
is another one, to further muddy the water.

> > I'm not sure if Fedora has documented changing from one kind of fedora
> > to another.
> >
> > So just for the sake of argument you are saying that if I wanted to use
> the KDE version of Fedora I can swap  "fedora-release-workstation" for "
> fedora-release-kde ".
>
> How would I download all the KDE packages and set it up ? Would it happen
> automatically ?

I don't know, I have never used KDE.

--
Jonathan Billings <billi...@negate.org>