On 25/11/2021 17:46, Joe Zeff wrote:
On 11/25/21 3:08 AM, Tim via users wrote:
I don't think so, unless you're trying to be funny.  We don't have to
do any of this pallaver for other several other graphics chipsets,
audio chipsets, USB chipsets, WiFi, etc.  The system figures it out for
us.  It was one of the great features of Linux of an install often
"just working" without any user jiggery pokery.

Don't blame Linux for that, blame nVidia for not providing either drivers or the chipset's specs so that drivers can be written by OSS programmers.  If you must use nVidia but don't want to do what's needed to install the drivers, try Ubuntu because they automate the installation of the binary blob drivers.

I suppose I have to recognise that as a lone user my perspective will differ from that of sysadmins responsible for a whole zoo of systems. Although the RPMfusion packages don't offer automatic card recognition, my impression is that installation of a specific driver by dns is usually straightforward. I have no 'special interest' in this.

John P