On Nov 28, 2021, at 05:00, Tim via users <users@lists.fedoraproject.org> wrote:

> That wasn't my point, though I do feel that way (about stingy bastard
> chipset manufacturers).  I'm well aware that driver creation is a lot
> of guesswork.  But once drivers are available, the computer should be
> able to pick the right one for you.

It does!  Just not the closed source ones.  The nouveau driver is automatically
used, and where support is good, it just works.  You’ll notice that the good
AMD GPUs run out of the box (for the most part) because their driver is part of
the kernel.

Nvidia doesn’t share their closed source drivers, and often drops support for
older (but common) GPUs.  There’s no legal way that Fedora can distribute the
closed source drivers, except to make a repo available to add.  It’s up to the
user to install and configure the third-party driver.

—
Jonathan Billings