On Mon, 2022-02-07 at 11:50 -0800, Gordon Messmer wrote:
> On 2/6/22 08:17, Paolo Galtieri wrote:
> > so why are / and /home the same device?
>

> To the question of "why," I'd think the answer is in the discussion
> held
> in the devel@ mailing list linked below. Generally, sharing the
> storage
> pool in order to avoid running out of space in one location when
> there
> was still space left in the pool due to "bad" partitioning choices
> was
> seen as a benefit.
>
> https://lists.fedoraproject.org/archives/list/de...@lists.fedoraproject.org/thread/IOPR2R3SCKOFUCKPLMS4MDD5664SGQFR/

From btrfs-quota(8):

On the other hand, the traditional approach has only a poor solution to
restrict directories. At installation time, the harddisk can be
partitioned so that every directory (eg. /usr, /var/, ...) that needs a
limit gets its own partition. The obvious problem is that those limits
cannot be changed without a reinstallation. The btrfs subvolume feature
builds a bridge. Subvolumes correspond in many ways to partitions, as
every subvolume looks like its own filesystem. With subvolume quota, it
is now possible to restrict each subvolume like a partition, but keep
the flexibility of quota. The space for each subvolume can be expanded
or restricted on the fly.

poc