On 2/8/22 04:56, Peter Boy wrote:
The quote describes a situation which has gone for more of a decade now. Since we have
LVM (when got that part of the Linux kernel? kernel 2.6? 2004 or so? Don’t know exactly),
no one would partition a hard disk along file system subdirectories. You create logical
volumes instead, which can easily "changed without a reinstallation“ and space for
any logical volume "can be expanded or restricted on the fly“. The latter even
easier with „thin provisioning“.

Expanded, sure.  But restricted?  I don't think that's as clear for LVM.  IIRC, XFS can't be shrunk at all, and ext4 can only be shrunk offline.  Users should be able to create, destroy, or resize qgroups online for btrfs.

I'm unclear on what you mean is easier with thin provisioning; can you clarify that?

I may be naive here, as I use writable snapshots in LVM but not thin provisioning specifically: my impression was that users needed to be very careful not to allow the volume group to run out of space when using either of these, because filesystems generally don't deal well with the unexpected write failures that occur when LVM has no more extents to allocate.  btrfs' free space handling can be surprising to users, and statfs() might suggest there is more space available than there is, but it's not the sort of thing that can corrupt the filesystem itself.